09/04/2015

Day 7: Team

This is the seventh post in my 10 Days of SWTOR Screenshots challenge. Click on any screenshot to see a larger version.


The most important team I'm a part of these days is that consisting of my pet tank and me. It seems almost quaint to think back to the days when we had only just started levelling our first pair of characters together and were constantly bickering about the "right" way to level. (These days I have thoroughly accepted that his way is the way we do it... even if you'll note that I still don't agree that it's the "correct" way.)

It's not that we play together all the time (which we really don't), but we have five different pairs of characters that we only ever play together when we do play them, and another couple of characters that at least frequently team up to participate in endgame content together.

There is something to be said for having someone you can bug at any time if you need just one more person to press that button to access a datacron... or whatever else you need may suddenly need help with on a Saturday morning.


After over three years of blogging, I consider the SWTOR community outside of the game an important part of my team as well, though we rarely get to play together. The problem is that I have limited playtime these days and that I'm pretty much never short on things I want to do and people I want to do them with. So even though I'm happy to do things like join custom channels (/waves at The Red Eclipse's #SWTORFamily), in practice I'm just always busy doing something else already. I hope this doesn't create any hard feelings; it's just that I have different ways of interacting with different people.

Nonetheless chance encounters with other community members in game always excite me - like in this picture I just happened to run into Rav from Ravalation in a random Novare Coast, which filled me with an immediate urge to capture the moment in a screenshot.


Last but not least, where would I be without my guild? Here's a shot of people bouncing around happily after we had completed Terror from Beyond on nightmare for the first time and got to place the furniture item that drops off the last boss on our guild ship.

I recently caught myself thinking about how I don't talk very much about my guild anymore and whether that's a bad sign... but I think it's more that we've become one of those "aged" guilds, where everyone is sort of settled in their ways (even if people continuously bicker about things like how we should handle progression) and we see relatively few new faces or major changes most of the time. Also, since I let people drag me into accepting an officership (even if I'm officially only supposed to take care of website administration), it has become hard to just enjoy the carefree and fun side of being in a guild, when I know the amount of work that people have to put in behind the scenes sometimes.

2 comments :

  1. Officers can put an insane amount of time into guild activities! I've watched 4 officers burn out at this point (some to the point of leaving the game for a break) and it's kind of crazy. But if no one's said this outright, the planning and dedication really do make a huge difference for the members so thank you for putting in that time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you to say, especially since you're not even in my guild! ^^

      Delete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)